Norwegian/Swedish Greenlandexpedition 2007
On Iceland
From Iceland to Greenland
Day 1: A hectic day
Day 2: A great start!
Day 3: Sunshine!
Day 4: Sastrugi damaged the ski
Day 5: The repairs looks ok
Day 6: Another day in sastrugi
Day 07: Phone report
Day 7: Sundaydinner
Day 8: Over 2000
Day 9: A chilly day
Day 10: Less sastrugi
Day 11: Congratulation!
Day 12: Wearing facemasks heading for the top
Day 13: Snow everywhere
Day 14: Got stuck because of bad weather
Day15: Phone report
Day 16: “On the road again…”
Day 17: A beautiful day
Day 18: We are looking at DYE2
Day 19: Wind in the windsack!
Day 20: Phone report
Day 20: Phone report
Day 20: DYE2 and Camp Raven
Day 21: Heading for the west coast
Day 22: We met at last!
Day 23: Downhill
Day 24: We´ve spotted land ahead!
Day 24: Phone report
Day 25: A taste of icing..
Day 26: We are there!
Report from Kangerlussuaq and pictures from the expedition

Day 14: Got stuck because of bad weather

ca -10°C
Gale Snow
66.37216°N -43.83324°W | 2433 m | Distance today: 0km | Total distance: 265km of approx. 600km

Being totally snowbound for the moment, we started this morning by remowing some of the snow and moving the wall of shelter. It took us 4 hours in the bad weather. The snow was pouring down during the gale, making us wet all over the clothes. Because of that we had to brush off the snow, trying to keep ourselves dry. But otherwise everything is fine! We are heading a bit to the north at the moment, trying to avoid glaciercracks. There are 111km to DYE2, 291km to point 660, where we are leaving the ice cap. Mads has informed us that the wind forces probably wouldn´t drop before Tuesday. But luckily we have brought a lot of food and maybe some of us get the chanse reading a book meanwhile. We are grateful to you all for the nice comments and greetings on the internet, thank you very much!
Ten o´clock (22.00 local time)
This afternoon the boys had to dig out the girls tent, due to the fact that something like 1 m snow suddenly was covering the entrance. We also built the important snowdrifting-wall much longer and made the shelterwall a bit smaller, to get the snow falling down between the two different walls. After staying another 3,5 hours outside, we had to repair the zipper of the Helsport Isfjell 4 tent. Indeed a very cold experience! In additon a repair on the Helsport Svalbard 5 tent had to be done, sewing a scratch. After that the Xkg primus stove broke down, so we had to use the extra one. Tonight we are relaxing warming up the tent. Another strange problem we´ve got, is the trouble with the ice attaching to our clothes, nearly impossible to get rid of before entering the tent.

Write a comment